By Kathleen Dey
There could be no time more opportune than this for supporting an organisation like the Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust with the 16 Days of Activism to End Violence against Women and the giving season coming together at the end of the year.
Our Vision and Mission
Rape Crisis has a vision of a South African Criminal Justice System that supports rape survivors in all of their interactions with it. It is our mission to act as a bridge between the survivor and the system until such time as that vision becomes a reality. Our counselling, training and advocacy programmes are designed to work in a coordinated fashion to ensure that we:
- Increase the reporting of rape through support to survivors in communities
- Increase the conviction rate of rapists through support to rape survivors at courts and health facilities and through law reform
- Reducing secondary trauma to rape victims in the system through training with personnel within the system
We do this with the aim of reducing the number of rape incidents in South Africa.
Our projects include a Speak Out project for rape survivors wanting to speak publicly about their experiences as a way of challenging rapists, the Stop the Bus Campaign that takes our work out to rural areas during the 16 Days of Activism, the Birds and the Bees Youth Camp for peer educators working to raise awareness in schools and the Road to Justice Campaign that lobbies for Victim Empowerment Legislation to be enacted.
How you can support us
Like many South African NGOs Rape Crisis needs funds to sustain its valuable work. We would like to appeal to companies and individuals to support us in one of the following ways:
- We are currently seeking bridging funds to make up a shortfall in this financial year of less than one month’s operating costs and any contribution would be welcome from potential donors as a form of social investment in our project work. To donate contact Kathleen Dey, the Director, on email@example.com
- Individuals can contribute by joining the 1000 Hearts Campaign on our website at http://rapecrisis.org.za/support-us/1000-hearts/ and giving a heart as a gift this Christmas. Each heart costs R100 a month, repeat payments can be set up online using a credit card and a heart in our online display will be named after the person of your choice.
- Rape Crisis is currently in the product development stage of our Safe Space Corporate Training and Consulting offering consultation on company sexual harassment policy development, training of managers in running disciplinary proceedings, training of HR departments in how to support victims or complainants, wellness days for employees and assistance to employees through individual counselling. If your company is interested in any of these services then contact Shafieka Moos at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We’ll be launching our Safe Space Training and Consultation services early in 2012.
Stay in touch and get involved
To sign up for our quarterly newsletter email email@example.com and we will send you the latest news about our work, trends in the sector and ways you can get involved as a volunteer in our projects. We offer training in counselling, court support, public speaking and workshop facilitation
to community based volunteers from all walks of life. All of our direct services are offered by these skilled and dedicated volunteers.
Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.